Zocor and Muscle Aches
If muscle aches become a problem while you're taking Zocor, be sure to talk with your healthcare provider. Also, you should contact your healthcare provider immediately if you have a fever or feel ill while experiencing muscle aches. These symptoms could indicate a serious problem.
Muscle aches are a possible side effect of Zocor® (simvastatin), occurring in up to 1 percent of people who take the drug. Muscle aches are more common when Zocor treatment is first started and when the Zocor dosage is increased. For most people taking Zocor, muscle aches occur without any other more serious muscle symptoms.
However, in rare cases (less than 0.1 percent), people can develop a serious problem with their muscles while on Zocor, and muscle aches can be one of the symptoms. Myopathy and rhabdomyolysis are two serious muscle problems that are rarely seen in people taking Zocor. Rhabdomyolysis is very serious because it can cause muscles to break down, which can cause the kidneys to stop working properly (acute kidney failure), and in some cases result in loss of life.
If you develop muscle aches, weakness, tenderness, or pain (especially if you also have a fever or feel ill) while on Zocor, call your healthcare provider immediately. This could be a sign that you have a serious condition that needs treatment right away.
Serious muscle problems are more common when Zocor is first started or when the Zocor dosage is increased, but they can happen at any time. There are also certain medicines that, when combined with Zocor, can increase the risk of serious muscle problems. These medicines include:
- Cobicistat-containing products (such as Stribild®)
- Cyclosporine (Gengraf®, Neoral®, Sandimmune®)
- Danazol (Danocrine®)
- Diltiazem (Cardizem®, Cardizem CD®, Cardizem LA®, Cartia XT®, Dilacor XR®, Dilt-CD®, Diltia XT®, Dilt-XR®, Taztia XT®, Tiazac®)
- Fibrates, such as:
- Niacin (nicotinic acid, Niacor®, Nicolar®)
- Protease inhibitors, such as:
- Nefazodone (Serzone®)
- Amlodipine (Norvasc®)
- Ranolazine (Ranexa®)
- Amiodarone (Cordarone®, Pacerone®)
- Verapamil (Calan®, Calan® SR, Verelan®, Verelan PM®, Isoptin®, Covera-HS®)
- Antifungals, such as ketoconazole (Nizoral®), fluconazole (Diflucan®), and itraconazole (Sporanox®).
Some of these medications should not be combined with Zocor at all, while others can be taken as long as the Zocor dosage is reduced. Grapefruit juice and grapefruit products (including grapefruit supplements) should also be avoided.