The recommended dose of Zetia is 10 mg once daily. You can take it with or without food, but you should take it at the same time each day. Factors that can affect your prescribed dosage are the medical condition being treated and other medications you may be taking. Even if you are taking Zetia, you still need to make certain lifestyle changes to maintain a good cholesterol level.
Some considerations for people taking Zetia include the following:
- Your Zetia dosage can be taken at any time during the day. However, it should be taken at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your system. If you are taking Zetia with a statin or fenofibrate, you can take both medications at the same time of day.
- Your dose can be taken with or without food.
- If you are taking a bile acid sequestrant, make sure to take your Zetia more than two hours before, or more than four hours after, the bile acid sequestrant. Bile acid sequestrants include:
- For Zetia to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Zetia will not work if you stop taking it.
- Remember that lowering cholesterol begins with lifestyle changes (including weight loss, a low-cholesterol diet, and exercise). If lifestyle changes do not lower cholesterol to a desirable level, cholesterol medication, such as Zetia, may be necessary. However, even people who are taking cholesterol medication need to make lifestyle changes to maintain a good cholesterol level.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Zetia dosage or dosing in general, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.