Zetia and Weight Gain
Weight gain is not a known side effect of Zetia. However, there are a number of things you can do if weight gain does occur. Try limiting your alcohol intake and eating a diet rich in fruits, vegetables, grains, lean meats, and fish. Your healthcare provider may have other suggestions to help with the weight gain or may even recommend switching to a different cholesterol drug.
Does Zetia Cause Weight Gain?
There are several known side effects with Zetia® (ezetimibe). Weight gain does not happen to be one of them. In fact, in previous clinical studies (in which side effects are always documented), none of the participants reported weight gain.
Zetia and Weight Gain: Suggestions
If you are noticing weight gain with Zetia, there are some things that you can do. Some suggestions include:
- Eating a low-cholesterol diet, which could include:
- Lots of fruits, vegetables, grains, and fat-free or low-fat milk and milk products
- Lean meats, poultry, fish, beans, eggs, and nuts
- Limiting foods with saturated fats, trans fats, cholesterol, sodium (salt), and added sugars.
- Participating in regular physical activity for at least 30 minutes a day on most days of the week
- Limiting your intake of alcohol.
(Click BMI Calculator to see if your weight is within a healthy range.)
Weight Gain on Zetia: Talk to Your Doctor
If you are noticing weight gain with Zetia, talk with your healthcare provider. He or she can give you other suggestions for dealing with any weight gain. If the weight gain continues, he or she may recommend switching to another cholesterol medication.