The recommended dosage of Trilipix for most people with high cholesterol is 135 mg once daily. People with mild-to-moderate kidney disease may need a lower amount when starting treatment, such as 45 mg once a day. The usual starting dose for the treatment of severely high triglycerides is Trilipix 45 to 135 mg once daily.
The dosage of Trilipix™ (fenofibric acid delayed-release, also known as choline fibrate) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Trilipix
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust this amount unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended Trilipix dose for most people with high cholesterol is 135 mg once daily. For people with mild-to-moderate kidney disease, a lower amount (Trilipix 45 mg once daily) is recommended when beginning treatment. This medication is not recommended for people with severe kidney disease.
The recommended starting dose of Trilipix when treating severely high triglycerides is 45 to 135 mg once daily. Your healthcare provider should check your cholesterol and triglyceride levels in four to eight weeks before adjusting your dosage, if necessary.
Some considerations for people taking Trilipix include the following:
- This medication comes in the form of a delayed-release capsule. It is taken by mouth once daily.
- You can take your dosage with food or on an empty stomach.
- You must swallow the capsules whole. Do not chew, crush, dissolve, or open them.
- Be sure to take this medication at the same time each day to keep an even level in your blood.
- For Trilipix to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. This medicine will not work if you stop taking it.
- Remember that lowering cholesterol begins with lifestyle changes (weight loss, low-cholesterol diet, and exercise). If lifestyle changes alone do not lower cholesterol to a desirable level, cholesterol medications may be necessary. However, even for those who are taking medication, lifestyle changes are still important for maintaining a good level.
- If you are unsure about anything related to dosing with Trilipix, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking this drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.