What Are the Foods to Avoid for High Cholesterol?
I have high cholesterol and would like to see if I can lower it by changing the foods I eat. What are the foods to avoid for people with high cholesterol?
Cholesterol is found in foods from animals. Therefore, foods that do not come from animals do not have cholesterol (fruits and veggies are good examples). A few of the worst offenders for high cholesterol are liver and eggs.
Some other foods that are high in cholesterol include:
- Whole-milk dairy products
- Butter, cream, ice cream, and cream cheese
- Certain shellfish, such as shrimp
- Organ meats, such as kidney and brain
- Duck and goose, which have more cholesterol than chicken or turkey; the skin on these animals is high in cholesterol.
However, cholesterol is just part of the equation. Actually, for most people, the main cause of high blood cholesterol is eating too much of certain types of fat. Saturated fat and trans-fatty acid (also known as trans-fat) are types of fat that raise your cholesterol levels.