As with any medication, it is possible to overdose on Simcor (niacin extended-release/simvastatin). In reported cases of human overdose with simvastatin (one of the active components of the medication), no long-lasting problems occurred. An overdose of the niacin component may cause severe flushing, nausea, and diarrhea. If a person takes too much Simcor, treatment may involve supportive care, "pumping the stomach," or certain medicines.
Simcor® (niacin extended-release/simvastatin) is a prescription medication usually used to improve cholesterol levels or to treat high triglycerides. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Simcor. It is likely that the specific effects of an overdose are likely to vary depending on a number of factors, such as the Simcor dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Please seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else (including a pet) may have overdosed on Simcor.
Simcor contains two different active ingredients, simvastatin and niacin. Studies have shown that massive doses of simvastatin can be lethal in mice, although no specific symptoms (other than death) were noted. However, studies in dogs suggested that massive overdoses are not likely to cause serious or long-lasting problems (the only symptoms seen were vomiting and mucousy stools). There have been a few reported cases of human overdose with simvastatin; no long-lasting problems occurred.
Effects of an overdose of the niacin component of Simcor might include:
- Severe flushing
- Nausea and vomiting
- Indigestion and heartburn
- Low blood pressure (hypotension)
- An irregular heart rhythm (arrhythmia).