Most doctors recommend a Prevalite dosage of one packet or one level scoopful once or twice daily for people who are first starting treatment. The suggested dose for maintaining your cholesterol level is two to four packets or scoopfuls daily. If your cholesterol goals are not reached within several weeks, or if side effects occur, your doctor may increase or decrease your Prevalite dosage accordingly.
The dose of Prevalite® (cholestyramine) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Prevalite dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting dosage for adults is one packet or one level scoopful once or twice a day with meals. This is for all Prevalite powder products, including Prevalite and Prevalite Light. If the medicine is prescribed for lowering cholesterol, your healthcare provider will likely recommend that you return to recheck your cholesterol levels after several weeks. If you have not reached your cholesterol goal at this time, your healthcare provider may choose to increase your dose or add a new cholesterol medication. The recommended maintenance dose of Prevalite is two to four packets or scoopfuls daily, separated into two doses.
Your healthcare provider may decide to decrease your Prevalite dosage if a side effect occurs or if your cholesterol levels fall significantly below the targeted goal.
Some considerations for people taking Prevalite include:
- Prevalite should never be taken alone in its powder form. Make sure to follow the preparation directions on the prescription. Prevalite may be mixed with water, non-carbonated beverages, liquid soup, apple sauce, or crushed pineapple.
- Your Prevalite dosage should be taken with a meal and plenty of extra water to avoid constipation.
- If prescribed to lower cholesterol, Prevalite should be used in combination with lifestyle modifications. This includes a healthy diet low in cholesterol (see Low Cholesterol Diet) and saturated fats, limited alcohol use, weight loss, and exercise.
- Prevalite should be taken at the same time every day to help maintain an even level of medicine in the blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- If you forget to take a dose of Prevalite, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Never double your dose of Prevalite at one time.
- Prevalite may reduce the absorption of some medications. If you are taking another medication, you may need to take it one hour before or four to six hours after you take your Prevalite. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist can let you know which medications need to be taken separately from Prevalite (see Prevalite Drug Interactions).
- For Prevalite to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Prevalite will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Prevalite or your Prevalite dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Prevalite without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.