Common uses of Pravachol include the treatment of high cholesterol and high triglycerides, as well as the prevention of heart disease. The medication has also been shown to decrease the chances of a having a heart attack, having a stroke, or needing a heart procedure such as angioplasty or open heart surgery.
Pravachol® (pravastatin sodium) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat several conditions. These Pravachol uses are as follows:
- Treatment of high cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia)
- Treatment of high triglycerides
- Prevention of heart disease and heart-related problems.
High Cholesterol or High Triglycerides Treatment
Pravachol is used for treating high cholesterol in people who cannot lower cholesterol through lifestyle changes alone. The medication can lower total cholesterol and LDL ("bad cholesterol"), as well as increase HDL ("good cholesterol"). Pravachol has also been shown to lower triglyceride levels in the blood. Triglycerides are the main storage form of fat in the body.
Prevention of Heart Disease
Pravachol is also used to decrease the chances of developing heart disease in those without existing coronary heart disease but with high cholesterol. In this group of people, Pravachol has been shown to decrease the chances of:
- A heart attack
- Dying from a heart or blood vessel-related problem (cardiovascular disease)
- Needing a heart procedure, such as angioplasty or open heart surgery (known medically as coronary artery bypass graft surgery, or CABG).
In people with heart disease, Pravachol has also been shown to decrease the chances of developing several conditions, including:
- Heart attack
- Stroke or transient ischemic stroke (known also as a TIA or "mini-stroke")
- Loss of life from a heart or blood vessel-related problem (cardiovascular disease)
- Conditions in which a heart procedure, such as angioplasty or open heart surgery, is necessary.
The medication also has been shown to decrease the rate at which atherosclerosis develops in those with existing heart disease.