Generic Niaspan: An Overview
) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat several conditions. For example, it is used for:
- Lowering cholesterol in people with high cholesterol. Niaspan can lower both total and LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and raise HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol).
- Lowering triglyceride levels in patients with hypertriglyceridemia (high triglycerides). Triglycerides are fat-like substances found in the body.
- Reducing triglycerides or cholesterol levels in patients who are already taking another cholesterol medication, such as a statin (Crestor®, Pravachol®, Lescol®, Mevacor®, Altoprev®, Lipitor®, Zocor®) or bile acid sequestrant like cholestyramine (Prevalite®, Questran®, Questran® Light, LoCholest®), colestipol (Colestid®), or colesevelam (WelChol®). Niaspan is also better than most other cholesterol-lowering medicines at raising HDL cholesterol.
- Reducing the risk of another heart attack in patients with a history of both a heart attack and high cholesterol.
- Slowing the progression of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) in patients with a history of coronary artery disease (CAD) and high cholesterol.
Niaspan is made by Abbott Laboratories. However, it is also available in generic form.