Cholesterol Home > Zocor
Zocor is a drug licensed to treat high cholesterol and high triglycerides, as well as to prevent cardiovascular disease. It works by blocking an enzyme that controls the rate of cholesterol production in the body. In research studies, people taking 20 mg were able to decrease "bad cholesterol" by an average of 38 percent. Possible side effects include headache, constipation, and stomach pain.
- Treatment of high cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia)
- Treatment of high triglycerides
- Prevention of heart or blood vessel disease (known as cardiovascular disease).
- Increases the liver's ability to collect and get rid of LDL cholesterol ("bad" cholesterol)
- Increases HDL cholesterol ("good" cholesterol)
- Decreases triglycerides.