Cholesterol Home > WelChol Dosage
For WelChol tablets, the recommended dosage for treating high cholesterol or type 2 diabetes is 1875 mg twice a day or 3750 mg once a day. This prescription medication should be taken at the same time(s) every day and taken separately from a number of other medications with which it can interact. Your WelChol dose should also be taken with food and water to prevent constipation.
WelChol Dosage: An OverviewThe dose of WelChol® (colesevelam hydrochloride) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As with any drug, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
WelChol Dosage for High Cholesterol or DiabetesThe recommended dosage for treating high cholesterol or type 2 diabetes is WelChol 1875 mg (three tablets) twice a day with meals or WelChol 3750 mg (six tablets) once a day with a meal.
For the powder form, the standard recommended dosage is one 3.75-gram packet once daily or one 1.875-gram packet twice daily. Make sure to dissolve that powder in four to eight ounces of water, fruit juice, or diet soda.
If you take WelChol for high cholesterol, your healthcare provider will likely recommend that you return to recheck your cholesterol levels after several weeks.
Your healthcare provider may decide to decrease your WelChol dosage if a side effect occurs or if your cholesterol or blood sugar levels fall significantly below the targeted goal.
Considerations for people taking WelChol include the following:
- WelChol should be used in combination with lifestyle modifications. This includes a healthy diet low in cholesterol and saturated fats, limited alcohol use, weight loss, and exercise.
- WelChol should be taken with a meal and plenty of water to avoid constipation.
- The medication should be taken at the same time(s) each day to help maintain an even level in the blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- If you are taking WelChol twice a day and miss the first dose, take the total daily dose all at once with your next meal. If you miss the dose for the entire day, skipped the missed dose(s) and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Do not take a double dose or extra doses the next day.
- WelChol may reduce the absorption of some medications. Therefore, if you are taking another medication, you may need to take it at least four hours before you take WelChol. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist can let you know which medications need to be taken separately from WelChol (see WelChol Drug Interactions).
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. WelChol will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to WelChol or your WelChol dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.