Cholesterol Home > Generic Statins
Currently, a few statin medications are available in generic form. Examples of generic statins include lovastatin, pravastatin, and simvastatin. Some insurance companies may require you to try a generic version before they will cover a brand-name statin. Others may cover all statins, but the brand-name ones may have a higher copayment. Because individual plans vary, check with your insurance carrier for details.
Are There Any Generic Statin Drugs?Statins (HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors) are a group of prescription cholesterol medications. Some statin drugs are available in generic form; others are not.
- Caduet® (amlodipine and atorvastatin)
- Mevacor® (lovastatin)
- Pravachol® (pravastatin)
- Zocor® (simvastatin).
Statin Drugs Unavailable in Generic FormThe following statins (or combination statin drugs) are not currently available in generic form:
- Advicor® (niacin extended-release/lovastatin)
- Altoprev® (extended-release lovastatin)
- Crestor® (rosuvastatin)
- Juvisync® (sitagliptin/simvastatin)
- Lescol XL (fluvastatin extended-release)
- Liptruzet™ (ezetimibe/atorvastatin)
- Simcor® (niacin extended-release/simvastatin)
- Vytorin® (ezetimibe/simvastatin).