Cholesterol Home > Pravachol
Pravachol is a prescription drug commonly used to treat conditions related to heart disease, such as high cholesterol and high triglycerides. It works by blocking an enzyme that controls the rate of cholesterol production in the body. The medication increases the liver's ability to collect and get rid of LDL cholesterol; it also can help increase HDL cholesterol and decrease triglycerides.
- Treatment of high cholesterol (hypercholesterolemia).
- Treatment of high triglycerides in the blood. Triglycerides are the main storage form of fat in the body.
- Prevention of heart disease and heart-related problems.
- Increases the liver's ability to collect and get rid of LDL cholesterol ("bad cholesterol")
- Increases HDL cholesterol ("good cholesterol")
- Decreases triglycerides.