Cholesterol Home > Generic Niaspan
Brand-name and generic forms of Niaspan (niacin extended-release) are currently available. The generic version comes in three strengths and is made by Teva Pharmaceuticals and other manufacturers. The FDA has given generic Niaspan an "AB" rating, meaning it is equivalent to the brand-name version.
Generic Niaspan: An OverviewNiaspan® (niacin extended-release) is a prescription medication that has been licensed to treat several conditions. For example, it is used for:
- Lowering cholesterol in people with high cholesterol. Niaspan can lower both total and LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol) and raise HDL cholesterol (good cholesterol).
- Lowering triglyceride levels in patients with hypertriglyceridemia (high triglycerides). Triglycerides are fat-like substances found in the body.
- Reducing triglycerides or cholesterol levels in patients who are already taking another cholesterol medication, such as a statin (Crestor®, Pravachol®, Lescol®, Mevacor®, Altoprev®, Lipitor®, Zocor®) or bile acid sequestrant like cholestyramine (Prevalite®, Questran®, Questran® Light, LoCholest®), colestipol (Colestid®), or colesevelam (WelChol®). Niaspan is also better than most other cholesterol-lowering medicines at raising HDL cholesterol.
- Reducing the risk of another heart attack in patients with a history of both a heart attack and high cholesterol.
- Slowing the progression of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries) in patients with a history of coronary artery disease (CAD) and high cholesterol.