Cholesterol Home > Lopid Dosage
The recommended starting Lopid dosage is 600 mg taken twice a day (half an hour before morning and evening meals). Your Lopid dose should be taken at the same times each day with a full glass of water. A few of the factors that can affect Lopid dosing include the medical condition being treated, other medical conditions you may have, and other medicines you may be taking.
Lopid Dosing: An IntroductionThe dose of Lopid® (gemfibrozil) your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As with any drug, do not adjust your Lopid dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Recommended Lopid DosageThe recommended starting dose for Lopid is Lopid 600 mg twice a day. Your healthcare provider will recommend that you return to have your triglyceride and/or cholesterol levels rechecked after four to eight weeks. If your triglyceride and/or cholesterol are not at the desirable levels after three months of therapy, your healthcare provider may choose to stop your Lopid treatment. The maximum daily dosage of Lopid is 1200 mg.
- Lopid should be used in combination with lifestyle modifications. This includes exercise, weight loss, limited alcohol use, and a healthy diet low in cholesterol and saturated fats.
- Lopid should be taken with a glass of water, 30 minutes before morning and evening meals.
- Lopid should be taken at the same times every day to help maintain an even level of the drug in your blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- Your healthcare provider may decide to decrease your dose of Lopid if a side effect occurs or if your triglycerides and/or cholesterol levels fall significantly below the targeted goal.
- There is no dosing adjustment for people 65 years of age and older.
- If you have severe kidney disease, in most cases it is recommended that you not take Lopid. Your healthcare provider should instead consider an alternative cholesterol-lowering medicine. If Lopid is necessary, it should be used with extreme caution.
- If you forget to take a dose of Lopid, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Never double your dose of Lopid at one time.
- For Lopid to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Lopid will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Lopid or your Lopid dosage, please talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Lopid without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.