Cholesterol Home > Lescol XL
Lescol XL is used to treat conditions such as high cholesterol and high triglycerides. The prescription medication is the extended-release version of Lescol immediate-release. It works by blocking a particular enzyme that controls the rate of cholesterol production in the body. This results in the liver producing less cholesterol. Possible side effects include muscle pain, headache, and indigestion.
- Increases the liver's ability to collect and get rid of LDL cholesterol ("bad cholesterol")
- Increases HDL cholesterol ("good cholesterol")
- Decreases triglycerides.
- Lescol XL comes in tablet form. It is taken once daily by mouth.
- It does not matter what time of day you take your dose, but make sure to take it at the same time each day.
- Lescol XL can be taken with or without food.
- Swallow the tablets whole with a glass of water. Do not break, chew, or crush them.
- For Lescol XL to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. The medication will not work if you stop taking it.