Cholesterol Home > Caduet Side Effects
A few common side effects of Caduet include fatigue, heart palpitations, headache, and muscle pain. Most people tolerate the drug without problems, and if side effects do occur, they are generally minor and easily treated. However, serious side effects are possible. If you experience unexplained swelling or rash, jaundice, or rapid weight gain, contact your healthcare provider right away.
An Introduction to Caduet Side EffectsAs with any medicine, side effects are possible with Caduet® (amlodipine and atorvastatin); however, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Caduet. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Caduet side effects with you.)
Possible Side Effects of Caduet
Caduet is a combination of two medications: amlodipine (Norvasc®) and atorvastatin (Lipitor®). Both Caduet and the individual medicines have been studied in clinical trials.
In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people taking the drug were documented and then compared to side effects that occurred in another group of people not taking the medicine. This way, it was possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compared to the group not taking the medicine.
In these studies, the most common side effects of Caduet included:
- Headache -- in up to 16.7 percent of people
- Swelling or water retention (edema) -- in up to 10.8 percent of people
- Muscle pain -- up to 5.6 percent (see Lipitor and Muscle Pain)
- Diarrhea -- up to 5.3 percent (see Lipitor and Diarrhea)
- Joint pain -- up to 5.1 percent (see Lipitor and Joint Pain)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (heart palpitations) -- up to 4.5 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 4.5 percent
- Unexplained rash -- up to 3.9 percent
- Stomach pain -- up to 3.8 percent
- Dizziness -- up to 3.4 percent
- Nausea -- up to 2.9 percent
- Flushing (redness of the skin, especially the face) -- up to 2.6 percent
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain) -- up to 1.6 percent
- Drowsiness -- up to 1.4 percent.
These side effects were similar to those seen when each medicine was taken by itself.