Precautions and Warnings of Lovastatin
It is important to fully understand warnings and precautions with lovastatin prior to starting treatment. For example, certain people should not take lovastatin, including women who are pregnant or nursing, people who have active liver disease, and those who are allergic to any components of the medicine. Also, lovastatin may result in increased levels of liver enzymes and an increased risk of developing serious muscle problems.
- Liver disease or liver failure
- Kidney disease or kidney failure
- A genetic condition known as homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia
- Any allergies, including allergies to foods, dyes, or preservatives.
Let your healthcare provider know if you:
- Are pregnant or thinking about becoming pregnant
- Are breastfeeding
- Will be undergoing a procedure or surgery
- Drink alcohol frequently.
Also, tell your healthcare provider about all other medicines you may be taking, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
Finally, make sure to contact your healthcare provider immediately if you experience any muscle pain, weakness, or tenderness, especially if you also have body aches or a fever.