For most people with high cholesterol, the recommended starting Livalo dosage is 2 mg a day. The maximum dosage of this medication is 4 mg a day. Amounts higher than this can significantly increase your risk for muscle problems. A few factors that can affect your dosage amount include your cholesterol goals, as well as other medical conditions you may have.
An Introduction to Dosing With LivaloThe dose of Livalo® (pitavastatin) your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your cholesterol goals
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Livalo Dosage for High Cholesterol and TriglyceridesThe usual starting dosage for most people with high cholesterol is Livalo 2 mg a day. Your healthcare provider may recommend that you have your cholesterol levels checked again after four weeks of treatment. If you have not reached your cholesterol goal at this time, your Livalo dose may be increased. The amount may also be decreased if you experience side effects.
The maximum Livalo dose is 4 mg a day. Doses higher than 4 mg a day substantially increase the risk for muscle problems associated with Livalo use (see Livalo and Muscle Pain).
People with kidney disease will start on a lower Livalo dose -- Livalo 1 mg a day. The maximum dose in people with kidney disease is Livalo 2 mg a day.
General Information on Taking LivaloSome considerations for people taking this medication include the following:
- Livalo comes in tablet form. It is usually taken once a day.
- This medication can be taken with or without food.
- It does not matter what time of day you take Livalo. However, you should try to take it at the same time each day to keep an even level of the medicine in your blood.
- Livalo should be used in addition to a low-cholesterol diet. Try to avoid eating foods that are high in cholesterol or fat to help lower your cholesterol levels.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.