The recommended dosage of Lipofen for the treatment of high cholesterol is 150 mg once a day. People being treated for severely high triglycerides typically start with 50 mg to 150 mg once daily. For elderly individuals or people with kidney disease, a lower starting dose (such as 50 mg once daily) is recommended.
The dose of Lipofen® (fenofibrate) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- How you respond to Lipofen
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may currently be taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dosage unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended Lipofen dosage for most people with high cholesterol is 150 mg once daily. For elderly individuals or people with kidney disease, a lower starting dosage (Lipofen 50 mg once daily) is recommended.
The recommended starting Lipofen dose for treating severely high triglycerides is 50 mg to 150 mg once daily. Your healthcare provider should check your cholesterol and triglyceride levels in four to eight weeks before adjusting your dosage as necessary.
For elderly individuals or people with kidney disease, the lower starting dosage (Lipofen 50 mg once daily) is recommended.
Some considerations for people taking Lipofen include:
- This medication comes in the form of a capsule. It is taken by mouth once daily.
- Take this medication with a meal, as it is better absorbed when taken with food.
- Be sure to take Lipofen at the same time each day to keep an even level of the medication in the blood.
- For Lipofen to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. It will not work if you stop taking it.
- Remember that lowering cholesterol begins with lifestyle changes (weight loss, low cholesterol diet, and exercise). If lifestyle changes do not lower cholesterol to a desirable level, cholesterol medications, such as Lipofen, may be necessary. However, even for those who are taking cholesterol medication, lifestyle changes are still important for maintaining a good cholesterol level.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Lipofen or Lipofen dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking this medication without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.