Some general considerations for when and how to take this drug include the following:
- Fluvastatin extended-release comes in tablet form. It is taken once daily by mouth.
- It does not matter what time of day you take the medication, but make sure to take it at the same time each day.
- Fluvastatin extended-release can be taken with or without food.
- Swallow the tablets whole with a glass of water. Do not break, chew, or crush the extended-release tablets.
- For this drug to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed; fluvastatin extended-release will not work if you stop taking it.
There are no dietary restrictions for people taking this medication. As with any cholesterol medication, you should continue to eat a low-fat, low-cholesterol diet as part of your cholesterol-lowering treatment program.
Dosing InformationThe dose of fluvastatin extended-release your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Your age
- The medical condition being treated
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
(Click Dosing With Fluvastatin for more information.)
Fluvastatin extended-release can potentially interact with a number of other medications (see Drug Interactions With Fluvastatin for more information).