Some considerations for people taking fenofibrate include:
- Fenofibrate should be used in combination with lifestyle modifications. This includes a healthy diet low in cholesterol and saturated fats, limited alcohol use, weight loss, and exercise.
- Some brands of fenofibrate should be taken during a meal (Lofibra, Fenoglide, and Lipofen). For others (Tricor, Triglide, and Antara), you can take the medication with or without food.
- Fenofibrate should be taken at the same time every day to help maintain an even level of medicine in the blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- If you are taking a bile acid sequestrant, make sure to take your fenofibrate more than one hour before the bile acid sequestrant or more than four hours after. Bile acid sequestrants include:
- If you forget to take a dose of fenofibrate, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Never double your fenofibrate dosing at one time.
- For fenofibrate to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Fenofibrate will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to fenofibrate or your fenofibrate dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking fenofibrate without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.