As with any medicine, it is possible to overdose on Crestor. Effects of an overdose may include things such as pancreatitis, liver damage, jaundice, and kidney failure. Treatment may involve "pumping the stomach," certain medications, or supportive care (which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose).
Crestor® (rosuvastatin calcium) is a prescription cholesterol medication. As with any medication, it is possible to take too much. However, it is not known exactly what to expect from a Crestor overdose. It is likely that the specific effects of an overdose will vary depending on a number of factors, such as the Crestor dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
It is not clear what symptoms to expect from an overdose with Crestor. However, it is reasonable to expect that an overdose would be likely to cause any of the usual Crestor side effects. Some of the more serious symptoms that could occur include:
- Liver damage
- Kidney failure
- Yellow skin (jaundice)
- Serious breakdown of muscle (known as rhabdomyolysis).
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may "pump the stomach" or administer certain medications to induce vomiting. Dialysis is not useful for removing Crestor from the blood. Treatment may also involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for a Crestor overdose may include:
- Careful monitoring of the heart, blood pressure, and breathing
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Crestor.