Colestid dosage recommendations generally start at 2 to 16 grams (for tablets) or 5 to 30 grams (for granules). The exact dose your healthcare provider recommends will be based on your medical history and any other medications you are taking. Depending on your reaction to the drug and whether your cholesterol goals are reached, after several weeks, your healthcare provider may choose to alter your Colestid dosage accordingly.
The dose of Colestid® (colestipol) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The form of Colestid (tablets versus granules)
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you are currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Colestid dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended Colestid dosage for adults is 2 to 16 grams for the tablets (2 to 16 tablets) or 5 to 30 grams for the granules per day (1 to 6 scoopfuls or packets), taken in either one or two doses. Your healthcare provider will likely recommend that you return to recheck your cholesterol levels after several weeks. If you have not reached your cholesterol goal at this time, your healthcare provider may choose to increase your dose or add a new cholesterol medication.
Your healthcare provider may decide to decrease your Colestid dosage if a side effect occurs or if your cholesterol levels fall significantly below the targeted goal.
Some considerations for people taking Colestid include:
- Colestid should be used in combination with lifestyle modifications. This includes a healthy diet that is low in cholesterol (see Low Cholesterol Diet) and saturated fats, limited alcohol use, weight loss, and exercise.
- Your Colestid dosage should be taken with a meal and plenty of water to avoid constipation.
- Colestid comes in either tablets or granules. Colestid tablets are large pills, so let your healthcare provider know if you have had swallowing or choking problems in the past.
- Do not break, chew, or crush the Colestid tablets.
- Colestid granules should never be taken in their dry form. Make sure to follow the preparation directions on the prescription. Colestid may be mixed with water, non-carbonated beverages, liquid soup, apple sauce, or crushed pineapple.
- Your Colestid dosage should be taken at the same time every day to help maintain an even level of medicine in the blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- If you forget to take a dose of Colestid, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Never double your dose of Colestid at one time.
- Colestid may reduce the absorption of some medications. If you are taking another medication, you may need to take it one hour before or four to six hours after you take Colestid. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist can let you know which medications need to be taken separately from Colestid (see Colestid Drug Interactions).
- For Colestid to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Colestid will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Colestid or your Colestid dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Colestid without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.