Colestid Alternatives

Colestid is generally effective in lowering cholesterol and usually is well tolerated. However, side effects can occur, and if they are intolerable for you, your healthcare provider may recommend a substitute for Colestid. Alternatives include other cholesterol medicines, such as statins, fibrates, and niacin. Other bile acid sequestrants that can be used as Colestid alternatives include cholestyramine and colesevelam.

Colestid Alternatives: An Overview

Lifestyle changes are typically the first line of treatment for lowering cholesterol. However, for some people, treating high cholesterol with a low cholesterol diet, weight control, and exercise are not enough. If lifestyle changes alone are not sufficient, your doctor can prescribe medications. One such medicine is Colestid® (colestipol). For most people, Colestid is effective in lowering cholesterol and is also generally well tolerated. However, side effects can occur, and people may wish to consider a substitute for Colestid. Alternatives could include other bile acid sequestrants or other cholesterol medicines.

Colestid Alternatives: Other Bile Acid Sequestrants

Colestid is part of a class of drugs known as bile acid sequestrants. It works by binding to bile acids in the intestines, preventing them from being reabsorbed back into the body. Bile acids are made in the liver from broken-down cholesterol. Therefore, removing these substances from your body helps to lower your blood cholesterol. Colestid can lower both total and LDL cholesterol.
Besides Colestid, there are other bile acid sequestrants available by prescription. These include:
A generic version of Colestid has also been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
10 Foods That Lower Cholesterol

Colestid Medication

Referring Pages:
Terms of Use
Advertise with Us
Contact Us
About eMedTV
Privacy Policy
Copyright © 2006-2020 Clinaero, Inc.
eMedTV serves only as an informational resource. This site does not dispense medical advice or advice of any kind. Site users seeking medical advice about their specific situation should consult with their own physician. Click Terms of Use for more information.