Dosing With Cholestyramine
Dosing with Cholestyramine may vary from person to person, but most doctors recommend a starting dose of one packet or one scoopful once or twice daily. The medicine should be taken at the same time every day to help maintain an even level in the blood. The recommended dosing with Cholestyramine for maintaining your cholesterol level is two to four packets or scoopfuls daily, separated into two doses.
The dose of Cholestyramine that your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Cholestyramine dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
The recommended starting dosage for adults is one packet or one level scoopful once or twice a day with meals. This is for all Cholestyramine powder products, including Cholestyramine and Cholestyramine Light. If this drug is prescribed for lowering cholesterol, your healthcare provider will recommend that you return to recheck your cholesterol levels after several weeks. If you have not reached your cholesterol goal at this time, your healthcare provider may choose to increase your dose or add a new cholesterol medication. The recommended maintenance dose of Cholestyramine is two to four packets or scoopfuls daily, separated into two doses.
Your healthcare provider may decide to decrease your Cholestyramine dosage if a side effect occurs or if your cholesterol levels fall significantly below the targeted goal.
Some considerations for people taking Cholestyramine include:
- Cholestyramine should never be taken in its powder form. Make sure to follow the preparation directions on the prescription. Cholestyramine may be mixed with water, non-carbonated beverages, liquid soup, apple sauce, or crushed pineapple.
- Your Cholestyramine dosage should be taken with a meal and plenty of water to avoid constipation.
- If prescribed to lower cholesterol, Cholestyramine should be used in combination with lifestyle modifications. This includes a healthy diet low in cholesterol (see Low Cholesterol Diet) and saturated fats, limited alcohol use, weight loss, and exercise.
- Cholestyramine should be taken at the same time every day to help maintain an even level of medicine in the blood. Do not take it more often than directed.
- If you forget to take a dose of Cholestyramine, take it as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your normal dosing schedule. Never double your dose of Cholestyramine at one time.
- Cholestyramine may reduce the absorption of some medications. If you are taking another medication, you may need to take it one hour before or four to six hours after you take your Cholestyramine. Your healthcare provider or pharmacist can let you know which medications need to be taken separately from Cholestyramine (see Drug Interactions With Cholestyramine).
- For Cholestyramine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Cholestyramine will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Cholestyramine or your Cholestyramine dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Cholestyramine without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.