Factors that can affect the Caduet dosage a person is prescribed include the medical condition being treated and if any of the components of Caduet (amlodipine and atorvastatin) were taken in the past. The medication comes in tablet form and can be taken with or without food. To ensure a safe, effective treatment process, it's important to follow your healthcare provider's guidelines regarding your Caduet dosage.
Caduet Dosage: An IntroductionThe dose of Caduet® (amlodipine and atorvastatin) that your healthcare provider recommends will vary depending on a number of factors, including:
- The medical condition(s) being treated
- How you respond to Caduet
- Other medications you may be taking
- Other medical conditions you may have.
As is always the case, do not adjust your Caduet dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Recommended Caduet DosageThere are many different strengths of Caduet, and the dosage must be individualized and adjusted for each person. Caduet contains two medications: amlodipine (Norvasc®) and atorvastatin (Lipitor®). The recommended dose of amlodipine ranges from 2.5 mg to 10 mg a day, depending on a variety of factors. The recommended dose of atorvastatin ranges from 10 mg to 80 mg a day, also depending on several factors. If you have been taking one or both of these medications, you will most likely be started on a similar strength of Caduet. However, if you have not been taking either component, you will probably be started on a low dose. Your healthcare provider will then increase your dose as necessary.
General Information on Dosing With CaduetConsiderations for people taking Caduet include the following:
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth, usually once daily.
- You can take Caduet with or without food. However, you should not drink grapefruit juice while taking it (see Caduet Drug Interactions).
- Swallow the tablets whole. Do not break, cut, chew, or crush them.
- Be sure to take Caduet at the same time each day to maintain an even level in your blood.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Caduet will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your Caduet dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking the drug without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.