As with any medication, it is possible to take too much Altoprev (lovastatin extended-release). The effects of an overdose will vary from person to person, depending on how much of the drug was taken and whether it was taken with other substances. In clinical studies, overdoses did not cause any problems. Treatment may involve "pumping the stomach," taking certain medicines, and supportive care.
Altoprev® (lovastatin extended-release) is a prescription medication that belongs to a class of cholesterol medications known as statins. As with most medications, it is probably possible to take too much Altoprev. It is likely that the specific effects of an overdose are likely to vary depending on a number of factors, such as the Altoprev dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.
Please seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else may have taken an Altoprev overdose.
In studies, giving doses of immediate-release lovastatin (the short-acting version of Altoprev) of 200 mg per day did not cause any significant problems. There have also been a few reported cases of immediate-release lovastatin overdose (with doses up to 6000 mg); no specific problems occurred, and all patients recovered fully.
If the overdose was recent, a healthcare provider may "pump the stomach" or administer certain medications to induce vomiting. Treatment may involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, supportive treatment options for an Altoprev overdose may include:
- Careful monitoring of the heart, blood pressure, and breathing
- Fluids through an intravenous line (IV)
- Other treatments based on complications that occur.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you may have overdosed on Altoprev.