Advicor Side Effects
Commonly reported side effects of Advicor include diarrhea, back or stomach pain, and itchy skin. Up to 71 percent of people taking the drug experienced flushing, and up to 20 percent developed infections. If you experience any serious side effects, such as unexplained muscle pain or weakness (especially if you have a fever or feel ill), you should contact your doctor right away.
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Advicor® (niacin extended-release/lovastatin). However, not everyone who takes the drug will experience side effects. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor, meaning they require no treatment or are easily treated by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Advicor. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list with you.)
Advicor has been studied in clinical trials, with hundreds of people having been evaluated. In these studies, side effects were documented and compared to side effects that occurred in a similar group of people taking either lovastatin or extended-release niacin alone (rather than the combination of the two).
Based on these studies, the most common Advicor side effects included:
- Flushing (sudden reddening, warmth, and tingling, especially of the face, neck, and/or upper chest) -- in up to 71 percent of people
- Infection -- up to 20 percent
- Headaches -- up to 9 percent
- Pain -- up to 8 percent
- Nausea -- up to 7 percent
- Itching -- up to 7 percent.
Other commonly reported side effects (occurring in 3 to 6 percent of people) included:
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- General feeling of weakness (asthenia)
- Flu symptoms
- Back pain
- Abdominal pain (stomach pain)
- Indigestion (dyspepsia)
- Unexplained rash
- Muscle pain (see Advicor and Muscle Pain).
In clinical studies, up to 19 percent of people stopped taking Advicor because of side effects. The main reason for stopping the medicine was flushing. Flushing can last for several hours after taking Advicor, and can vary in severity from person to person. Flushing may be accompanied by other side effects, such as:
- A fast or forcefully beating heart
- Shortness of breath
- Burning sensations of the skin