StrengthsSeveral strengths of Advicor tablets are available, including:
- Advicor 500 mg/20 mg -- 500 mg of niacin and 20 mg of lovastatin
- Advicor 750 mg/20 mg -- 750 mg of niacin and 20 mg of lovastatin
- Advicor 1000 mg/20 mg -- 1000 mg of niacin and 20 mg of lovastatin
- Advicor 1000 mg/40 mg -- 1000 mg of niacin and 40 mg of lovastatin.
It is important to note that studies suggest that taking two Advicor 500 mg/20 mg tablets is not equivalent to taking one Advicor 1000 mg/40 mg tablet (and therefore cannot be used interchangeably).
Switching From NiaspanIf you are switching from Niaspan® (extended-release niacin), your healthcare provider may recommended that you start with an Advicor dosage that is higher than is normally recommended, based on your current Niaspan dosage. For instance, if you take Niaspan 1000 mg daily, you could start with Advicor 1000 mg/20 mg once daily, instead of the usual 500 mg/20 mg once daily. However, this does not apply to any other type of niacin, including slow-release niacin (such as Slo-Niacin®) or immediate-release niacin products.
Withdrawing From Advicor SafelyUnlike some medications, there is no need to slowly reduce the dose when stopping Advicor; this medication can be stopped abruptly. However, do not stop taking Advicor (or adjust your Advicor dose) without your healthcare provider's approval.
Some considerations for people taking Advicor include:
- Your Advicor medication should be taken at bedtime with a low-fat snack.
- Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water. Do not break, chew, or crush the Advicor tablets.
- Alcohol, hot drinks, or spicy food may worsen flushing symptoms and itchy skin, which are common side effects of Advicor, and should therefore be avoided close to the time that the medicine is taken.
- If you also take aspirin (which may help reduce flushing from Advicor), take your aspirin dose up to 30 minutes before taking Advicor.
- For Advicor to work properly, you have to take it as prescribed. Advicor will not work if you stop taking it.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Advicor or your Advicor dosage, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist. Do not stop taking Advicor without first discussing it with your healthcare provider.